Charred lemon and rosemary gin and tonic worth a try
You may already know we’re self-professed gin lovers. Tonic is a tough one to love—and something you may not think about, it has lots of sugar. Fortunately there’s a sugar-free version that helps us be good about cutting down on added sugar in our diet, making the classic gin and tonic an option in our cocktail repertoire.
Sharon’s creativity and love for finding yummy libations for us to enjoy together brought us this Charred Lemon and Rosemary Gin & Tonic.
It’s a little on the bitter side, so I wouldn’t judge you for adding a little simple syrup. Ooh, what about rosemary-infused simple syrup? Made with Splenda or your artificial sweetener of choice? Gonna add that next time!
Here’s how we did it:
- 1 lemon
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 oz gin (our choice is Uncle Val’s or Hendrick’s)
- 1-1/3 cup diet tonic water
- Put a cast iron skillet on a burner with a high flame and allow to become very hot
- Quarter the lemon and place cut side down on the hot skillet. Once charred, turn and char the other cut side. Remove and allow to cool
- Place rosemary and gin into a shaker and muddle with a wooden spoon. (This is where you could add a couple tablespoons of simple syrup.)
- Divide ice between two on-the-rocks glasses (we used wine glasses)
- Strain gin into the glasses
- Top with tonic water and stir
- Add charred lemons and sprigs of rosemary
Enjoy with someone you love to break any bitterness! #cheers #liveitup